Spinning on a Drop Spindle ~ March 17 or April 21 or May 18
Spinning Yarn on a Drop Spindle
Instructor: Jey Fell
Discover the ancient art of spinning fiber into yarn using a drop spindle in this hands-on and informative course. Whether you are a complete beginner or have some prior experience with fiber arts, this course will teach you the essential skills and techniques to create beautiful, handspun yarn from a variety of natural and synthetic fibers.
What to expect. During this 3-hour course you will make several yards of semi-woolen, 2-ply yarn.
Materials needed. Drop spindles and fiber will be supplied and are included in your course fee! You are also welcome to bring your own spindle.
What is Yarn? What are we spinning? How is it constructed?
- Overview of various spinning fibers and their characteristics
- Plying - Common plys
- Setting up your drop spindle
- Learn the park and draft method
- Continuous drafting
- Achieving an even and consistent twist
- Spinning singles
- Troubleshooting common spinning problems
Finishing and Skeining
- Measuring weight and grist
- Skeining your yarn
- Washing and finishing your handspun yarn
- Storing and caring for your handmade yarn
By the end of this course, you will have gained the knowledge and skills necessary to confidently spin your own yarn on a drop spindle, opening up a world of creative possibilities for your knitting, crochet, and weaving projects. Whether you are interested in traditional spinning or modern artistic expressions, this course will empower you to explore the world of fiber arts with confidence and creativity.